Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand Six Hundred Minutes. All make up A Day in the Life of the Taylor trio.

march

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Looking for the must read book of the year

I am looking for the must read book of the year. A book so thrilling I will be longing to bound out of bed at 2am, 3am, 4am and 5:30am thinking "Ooo I was hoping my sweet daughter would want to eat now so I can find out what happened to ___________." Now let me clarify my request by saying I am looking for a book to read at 2am, 3am, 4am and 5:30am. Consequently I may not have the mental clarity to process abstract philosophical or geopolitical themes. I am looking for a light, flighty, whimsical read-at-the-beach type of book that will be able to prevent my hungry daughter from seeing her Mama asleep and drooling slightly above her. I am not above taking suggestions of the Danielle Steel variety nor would I pass up a novel that to a snooty literary critic may be considered "trash." I would also greatly appreciate a massive letter writing campaign asking J.K. Rowling to quickly finish book seven and mail a copy to my doorstep. You may include in the letter that I promise not to tell anyone how the series ends. Lily thanks you in advance for your suggestions.

10 Comments:

Blogger kwpershey said...

You could always borrow the copy of The Brothers Karamazov I gave to B.J. a few years ago... tee hee. Just kidding.

I'll think about this and get back to you. :-)

12:49 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

The new Sophie Kinsella book, of course!!!

The Undomestic Goddess

or, if you haven't read it,

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie, again.

I also read The Time Traveler's Wife when I was nursing G in the early weeks in the middle of the night... it lends itself to grogginess because it zips back and forth through time so much : ) It's by Audrey Niffenegger. I *loved* it.

And one more:
Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. I just finished it, and it was fantastic. And easy to read as it is divided into short little entries.

OK, I lied, here is one more suggestion... go to the library and check out all of Anna Quindlen's essay books. Not fiction, but essays. They are wonderful, and you feel like you're accomplishing something as you read because they're all only a few pages long.

I'll stop being a blog hog now : )

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try two: You said anything so....I'm partial to Janet Evanovich and her Stephanie Plum mysteries. They are very funny with just enough raunchy to get you by, and best of all there is virtually no brain power needed. I would start at the beginning..."One for the Money". I think she's up to eleven....that's a lot of nursing!

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How beautiful she is! Congratulation, Marie and Lily, and Papa too.
Have a great time, it only comes once!
Barb Eppley

9:11 PM  
Blogger kwpershey said...

hey nancy- just how much raunchy is "just enough raunchy to get by"? :-p

i would definitely recommend anne lamott. particularly operating instructions, her hysterical memoir of her first year of motherhood.
her new book, plan b, is also pretty good.

anything by nick hornby, barbara kingsolver, and david sedaris (only be careful w/ d.s. b/c you'll laugh so hard lily might get irritated with you).

also: the solace of leaving early by haven kimmel. it's one of my favorites.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

heh heh heh. I was wondering the same thing, Nance!

12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Marie,
Just dropped by from Elizabeth's blog...
I am loving the Alexander McCall Smith's The No. 1 Ladies Detective Series. Fun and light, I say. Congratulations on your arrival of Baby Lily. She is beautiful!
Blessings,
Susie

11:49 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions! I am going to pick some up on Monday when Lily attends her very first Storytime at the library. (We are both very excited)

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, it's chic lit, but it's REALLY good. Anything by Jennifer Weiner, but I'd start with "Good In Bed". It sounds risque, but it's a good read and not at all "girlie" for being chic lit.

I've said my peace.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Pink Shoes said...

Visiting from Katherine's blog... and have read more than my fair share of Nora Roberts paperbacks while nursing my Baby Boy.
I would second the Anne Lamott suggestions -- she gives words to so many of the first-time mom thoughts that scamper through the mind at 2, 3, 4 and 5:30.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home