Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand Six Hundred Minutes. All make up A Day in the Life of the Taylor trio.

march

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

My age gauge

-Ok so I had planned on doing this a long time ago when my Mama gave it to me, but better late than never so here we go.

24 years old at the time of the 9-11 attack on America
I was actually in bed. I had worked the night before until 2am getting new product out at the Gap (I was a merchandising manager) and was super tired. Bj was also in bed as he was delivering pizza and had a late class that morning. Our friend Andy called and said that we were under attack and they had taken our planes. I will never forget that day or that feeling.

22 years old on the first day of Y2K
I was in Bj's basement crying my eyes out because the year that I got engaged was almost over (we got engaged on December 30). I had this obsession that I wanted to get married in nineteen hundred and ninety nine instead of two thousand. I think that I thought it looked better on an invitation.

20 years old when Princess Diana was killed in a car crash
I was driving home from a friend's house in Akron. At first I thought it was some kind of a weird joke. I was strangely really really sad about this.

17 years old at the time of the Oklahoma City bombing
I walked into the commons at my high school for lunch and my friend Charissa told me about it. All I remember is hearing about the fact there was a day care there. It still gives me chills.

16 years old when O.J Simpson was charged with murder
Didn't pay attention, didn't see the police chase. I do remember hearing the verdict in 1996? I was in my dorm room, my roommate just woke up from a nap and my dad came to take me to lunch. The lights in our room were not on...why do I remember that?

15 years old at the time of the World Trade Center bombing
I don't really remember it happening, I just remember seeing the news with people coming out of a smoking building with black soot on their faces.

12 Years old during the fall of the Berlin Wall
Again, don't really remember the details, just remember seeing the news with people all over the wall breaking it apart. Looked like one heck of a party.

8 Years old when the space shuttle Challenger exploded
I remember coming home from school and my Mama was watching the news. I sat in the back of the room (the TV was under the front window at the time) sitting on our beige rug and playing with these blue geometric shaped objects my Mama was using for her math class. That image of the explosion will stay with me forever as they played it over and over again.

Oh yeah, and by the way, I am 60 years and 9 months younger than Walter Cronkite.

3 Comments:

Blogger kwpershey said...

I remember the television being under the front window. I was standing in the middle of the room watching when the crash first happened.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Jessica Johnson said...

I could just copy all of your answers because I am only 13 days younger than you! I was in the exact same place when the Oklahoma City bombings took place. It was either lunch time or in the morning before school started and they made us stay in the commons, but Charissa is the one who told me, too. We must have walked in together. Ahh, memories. It's weird how thinking about a certain event takes you right back to that place like it was yesterday.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Jessica Johnson said...

ps...have you always called your mom your "mama?" I don't remember that.

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home