Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand Six Hundred Minutes. All make up A Day in the Life of the Taylor trio.

march

Friday, April 28, 2006

Why I do what I do: Flashback Friday

Musical. Our opening night is tonight. All that work. All that stress. All those missed times with family and friends. This is why I do what I do.

Once upon a time, a long time ago, at the very same high school, on the very same stage that will be performing Beauty and the Beast tonight, I played the lead in South Pacific. I was Nellie Forbush. One the very same stage that looks so very different. We didn't have much of a set just some palm trees sticking out of a painted stage-one side tan for sand, one side green for grass. A few benches, a few chairs, a small working shower, one rolling flat, many costumes clothes from our own closets, make-up from our bathrooms.
I sang my heart out...


I had a lot of fun...


I fell in love with my husband...


I do this because I love my students. I do this because I love being part of the stage. I do this because although the set is now much bigger, better, and made of steel, many of the costumes are made especially for us that look like teapots, forks, plates and brooms, there are working chandeliers that move up and down, and a working fountain, but what it all boils down to is hardworking high school students and memories that will last a lifetime.

10 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

Whoo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are so special! I am so glad we got to work together on this project! I love ya girl!

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the essence of the lively arts. It is a lifetime activity--that includes the nurturing of family, friends, and self.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fell in love with you too.

Break 12 legs tonight!

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. just wow.
I was fine until..."I fell in love with my husband" part...now I just want to cry - so tender and sweet.

Now I wish I had done more than played field hockey for good ole' Stow High...

Have a wonderful show!
Rachel

4:21 PM  
Blogger kwpershey said...

Break a leg! I wish I could be there.

sniff, sniff.

5:14 PM  
Blogger michelle_d said...

I loved the "I fell in love with my husband part too" I'm such a romantic. And then to read his comment. Awww.

Break a leg! And tell us all about it :)

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Sunday evening and the musical is over. Welcome back to the living, Marie.

7:36 PM  
Blogger rebecca said...

Hope it went well! great memories on that stage! I think i'm in that top picture!

9:52 PM  
Blogger Mi'Chelle said...

Tingly chills all over...

Sign. I knew there was a reason I like you so much. Musicals. Sigh.

Hope all went well!

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope it went well- but I am sure it did! Loved seeing these photos- so cool!

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home