Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand Six Hundred Minutes. All make up A Day in the Life of the Taylor trio.

march

Friday, December 01, 2006

December 1

It's here. And I am not ready. For the past two months I have been preparing my choir at church for a very important event. Our Madrigal Dinner. This is huge. SO much work has gone into it-and I am talking an unbelievable amount with the costumes and the banners and the sound and lights and decorating and music preparation and drama preparation and food preparation. This is huge. I know that probably to the outside observer everthing will wonderful and entertaining, but I know there will be problems that I will know about, things I could have done better, things that I just didn't think to do. Bj really put this into perspective for me the other day. He said to really think about how long I have been doing this, (directing a choir) which is actually not that long. In months only seventeen months. Seriously? Only seventeen months. I have been a choir director for only seventeen months. Not my whole life? Nope. It only feels that way because I have worked so hard for so many years to do this. I have spent so much time singing in choirs doing madrigal dinners, singing around the world, singing around my home. I have only done this for seventeen months (more if you count my student teaching...) not even two years. So here is some perspective for me. I know that I will go home tonight examining every flub, every gesture that could have been clearer, and that part that I should have gone over but missed. I know that I will do this because I am still learning, and I hope in twenty, thirty years I will be doing the exact same thing.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it'll be awesome, Marie!

PS, I'm listening to Buffy!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Mi'Chelle said...

What I wouldn't give to come to just one of the performances that you're directing.

(did I tell you that our local high school performed Into the Woods, and I went and thought of you the entire time?)

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hang in there! Look how much you have accomplished in your short 17 months of being a choir director! So much work going into & preparing for the madrigal dinner - just from what I witnessed last night - it has already FAR suprassed dinners of the past on all levels - even with the lights going on and off! And think you are doing this with church memebers -some who only sing at church and never studied music before. I say JOB WELL DONE!!!

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow and Double WOW! This will be incredible and remember to just BELIEVE!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

I am sure it will be lovely and magical and delightful.
17 months? wow! you are soo good at it already I thought you had been doing it longer. Seriously

5:20 PM  
Blogger kwpershey said...

Wow... I'm floored that you've only directed for seventeen months. You are a choir director, through and through. I wish I could be there to see the Madrigal performance.

Foom, foom, foom.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

I bet it was awesome. We're always our worst critics (or is that just me?)

3:55 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

How'd it go? How'd it go?

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home